RSS Feed

Friday Afternoon

February 9, 2014 by Mrs Hurley   

As my first full week back in the classroom drew to a close last week, I was enjoying my Thursday morning APLT (Applied Planning & Leadership Time), ironing out the last couple of lesson for the week when it suddenly dawned on me.

Friday afternoon. The kids will be in the classroom. I’ll have to plan something for them!

This might sound a little crazy to you, but I’ve never had to plan for a Friday afternoon in the classroom before. For the past 3 years, every Friday afternoon has been 5/6 Sport, which means I’ve had to supervise and coach sport teams but I get to run around with the kids and really wear them out.

This year, I have younger students (Grade 3/4) and am still learning about how they learn best and hat they’re capable of.

I got away with it as we had a little bit of “finishing off time” (which I hate) and then we did some Zumba and Just Dance in our classroom. (It was also boiling hot outside so we couldn’t really venture out there). We then had reflection time in our closing circle.

So, PLN, I’m asking for ideas & suggestions.

What would you do on Friday afternoons with 8-10 year olds??

1 Comment »

1. Fiona says:

Hi Katelyn,

It’s a very relevant post – especially during such hot weather recently. I’ve had to modify all my afternoon lessons, mostly revolving around some non-thinking activities because by that time, our brains have nearly melted.
    I’m lucky at my school because we have a Friday Singalong, with all of the P-4 students. From 2:40-3:10 we gather in the Hall and sing a variety of songs – children’s classics, recent releases etc, all put together by the teacher rostered on. We also have an award per class given out, but it’s not a full assembly or anything. More just a chance to wind down at the end of a long week and have some positivity!
    I’m with you – I hate finishing off time!!

Fiona