RSS Feed

First Days Back!

February 2, 2014 by Mrs Hurley   

Students at my school started back on Thursday, after I had already been at school for 2 days. Staff spent the first 2 days doing team exercises and team planning for the term. We also looked at our whole school unit “Myself as a Learner”.

My teaching partner and I have started a shared blog together. I actually went to primary school with Kate and it was a complete coincidence that we’ve ended up in the same workplace, working in the rooms next to each other this year. Please head over to our shared blog to see our room reveals! We’ve both put in a lot of effort for our new classrooms but Kate’s just blows me away.

I’m also starting Whole Brain Teaching this year. I will endevour to post more about it once it’s up and running in its’ entirety. If you are not familiar with Whole Brain Teaching, the idea is that when students are using all of their brain to learn, they have no room to daydream or become distracted.

So far, I have introduced; Class/Yes, Classroom Rules, Teach/OK and The Scoreboard.

Normally, I would make the class rules with the students so that they have ownership over them etc. etc. but I wanted to try Whole Brain Teaching as prescribed before I made any alterations. The kids are aware of this and also of the reasoning behind each of the classroom rules. I explained briefly but we’ll go into it more when we look at the brain during our whole school unit.

I did, however, change one classroom rule. The 5 rules are:

#1 Follow Directions Quickly
#2 Raise your hand for permission to speak
#3 Raise your hand for permission to leave your seat
#4 Make smart choices
#5 Keep your dear teacher happy

If you haven’t picked up which rule I changed, it’s number 5. Mostly because it sounded really American and a little wanky to me. I changed it to “Respect yourself, respect others & respect your school”, which is a variation I have come across somewhere on the internet during my research.

Anyway, more about WBT later down the track…

So far, I am really enjoying my kids. I think they’re a little overwhelmed by me but one thing I LOVE about teaching a younger year level is that THEY THINK I’M FUNNY!!

How did your first days in your classroom go? Are you trying anything new this year? Have you ever done Whole Brain Teaching before?

»