RSS Feed

Holistic Writing

November 2, 2013 by Mrs Hurley   

Recently, I have been lucky enough to attend a 2 day Professional Development opportunity run by Ann Angelopolous about her writing model.

Teaching writing is something that I’ve never been great at. Yes, in my placements at uni I was exposed to a number of different programs, but in all of my placements I’d never been given the chance to actually come up with a writing program. Nor did I ask! I didn’t know any better and it’s not something I really thought about. Kids could just write, couldn’t they? All my job was, was to teach them the different genres, wasn’t it?

It became very apparent when I started teaching my own class and this year particularly, that no, kids could not ‘just write’.

What has really sold me on the writing model is clear progress shown by students in such a short amount of time. Ann’s most reluctant writers, who would write 2 sentences in an hour in barely legible handwriting could now write 2 pages of quality writing that followed a correct structure in the most beautiful handwriting! Don’t get me wrong, I know that handwriting isn’t everything but when I still have 11 and 12 year old’s in my class who have to read their writing to me because it’s scribble on the page (and even they struggle!) then handwriting becomes important.

How are these reluctant writers achieving so much in such little time? Well, a combination of different reasons but here are the reasons why I think:

1. All writing from the beginning of the year is broken down to sentence level and explicitly taught. Simple, compound and complex sentences are explored.

2. Writing devices are explicitly taught. Students know what the difference between a simile and metaphor is and can tell you what Power of Three is AND use them all in their writing.

3. Students write every day and have achievable goals – For example, today we are all writing the orientation of our piece. Achievable for all!

4. Vocabulary is differentiated and a list is provided for all students – brainstormed by the students and added to by the teacher. Maybe there are particular words you’d like your students to include? Maybe you want to expand the vocabulary of your more able students? Providing a vocabulary list also helps with the spelling of words which takes the pressure off those less able students.

5. And most importantly, you don’t teach Persuasive text for a whole term in preparation for NAPLAN!! The Writing Model is all about teaching kids to be storytellers and writersnot teaching them how to write particular genres.

There are a couple of essentials for each writing lesson (unit?) See, instead of expecting kids to write something new every day, after the introduction and vocabulary brainstorm and all, you should have a complete writing piece about every week. Each writing piece should include;

• Pre-writing strategy: What will you focus on this week? Practising similes and metaphors?
  • Supportive stimulus
  • Supportive plan: include your expectations for each section of the text. What needs to be in there? Approximately how many sentences?
  • Supportive text: Give examples! Write one yourself!
  • Supportive vocabulary
  • Share time throughout

I’m really looking forward to implementing the strategies that I’ve been taught and I am looking forward to improving the writing quality of my students.

What framework do you use for writing? How did you get taught to teach writing? How do you raise expectations of your students’ writing?

»